Thursday, February 13, 2014

Olympic Loyalties

This is a rather personal issue with me, but after much thought, I decided to post it. So here goes. *Takes a deep breath*.

So this Olympics posed a question for me: which country would I be competing for if I were in the games? Yeah, you might think I'm crazy for even considering competing for a country other than the US. Truth is, most of you are missing an important piece about me: I'm adopted from China. Yep, that brings up the question of whether I would be for China or the US.

I've always been a crazy Team USA fan, but this time I wondered what I'd actually choose. I mean, sure, I'm completely American, but I look Chinese, and that's also my origin. I really can't just ignore that.

I've seen Olympic athletes take both sides. There have been those who were adopted and chose to be with their home country. There have also been those who have gone for their birth country, even this year I know one who has chosen this.

I'm not going to tell you my decision right now, but I'd like to hear your opinions. Try seeing it from the eyes of an adoptee, and make a decision. If you don't want anyone to know, that's fine. I just want you to think on it a little at least. *shrugses* If you care to share, comment, and if you just want me to know, email me or put "private" in the comment. If I see that, I won't publish it.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, I didn't know you were adopted. O-O
    Personally, I don't think it really matters what country you're from or living in that should determine your loyalties. I think what matters is what country you feel closer to, the one that feels more like home. That could be China or the US.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I was when I was nine months old :) I didn't tell you though...I forget to say sometimes.
      Nice answer! =D Thanks for reading

      Delete
    2. No big deal. It's your info to share whenver you wish. :)

      Thanks! You're very welcome. :D

      Delete