Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Developing Effective Protagonists

First off, I'm working on a blogging schedule, and it's very likely that Wednesdays will turn out as days I blog on writing, but I still have a few things to figure out, so bear with me please.

Okay, onto the the subject. A LOT of people blog about this subject, I know, but I decided a give it a try as well. So, first I'm going to go through a few things that irritate me about many Christian Fiction protags.

Virtuous
These characters have every virtue we could ever imagine or want. They make us feel like we can never live up to their example. As much as I love Bryan Davis, his females seem to have this problem. Well, Kelly not so mucht, but Bonnie, Sapphira, Lauren, and Elyssa certainly do.

Attractive
They are often extremely attractive, especially if they're single, and they don't even know it. That makes them even more appealing to the other gender. Not to say you shouldn't give your characters good looks. Just try not to lay it on too thick. Abigail from The Seven Sleepers has this problem.

Knowledge of the Bible
This group knows the Bible cover to cover...and that's a good thing! It's when they start preaching it constantly that it becomes a problem. You see, it's not that they know the Bible well at all. If they're a Christian character, they probably should. However, we, as Christians, should not just go around talking about the Bible, they should be doing what the Bible tells us to do (James 1:22-23).

You might be saying, "Oh Kya (or whatever your preferred name for me is), I don't make any of my characters like that!" I'm not saying you do. I'm just giving a heads up on some of the problems fiction writers have with their characters.

Now I can start talking about what to include in their characters once I've got the don'ts out of the way.

Flaws
They. Need. Flaws. It's as simple as that. It could be any type of hindrance: a physical problem, a scar from the past that impedes spiritual growth, a character trait that causes them to stumble.

Inspirational
Another trait that makes a good protagonist is making them inspirational, unforgettable. By nature, we want heroes. We want a character in the story to go out and fight evil, both outside and inside. We want a character that will persevere and, in the end, conquer the evil. Our characters can be like this while having flaws. What makes a truly memorable character is them being inspirational, and at the same time have problems that will allow the reader to relate to them.

Some books I've read in which the characters seem real are the Echoes From the Edge Trilogy by Bryan Davis, The Dark Wolf by JM Christian*, and The Berinfell Prophecies by Wayne Thomas Batson and Christopher Hopper.

Okay, I'm done ranting now, and as always I'd love to get comments from ya'll. If you take the time to read this, thanks so much.

*A review can be found here.

14 comments:

  1. I know exactly what you mean and I've ranted about things like that more than once( though not online). I've had more than one complaint with Bryan Davis's characters, even though I love his stories. I think his characters came out the best in Echoes from the Edge, even though I didn't care for what happened with Kelly's father.
    I'm also not a fan of the main character preaching the Bible from cover to cover. Show God's power, but spare me the sermon, lol.

    Wow, I'm between Bryan Davis and Wayne Thomas Batson. O-O Thanks, Kya. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For some reason, I can't imagine you ranting, but I'll believe you. XD

      Yes. If I remember correctly, that was rather gross.

      Exactly! =P

      :) *grinzes*

      Delete
    2. I do it very quietly. ; )

      It was, and I wasn't pleased with Bryan Davis over the character's fate. He seems to have a thing that fathers always get the good deal in the story.

      Delete
  2. One thing I struggle with is the 'Inspirational' part. I don't know whether or not my characters are inspirational, and if they aren't how I could make them more memorable. Of course, I'll have to revise the book once it's finished, so I can tweak the charries a little.

    And, I agree with you about the whole 'knowing the Bible from cover to cover' thing. So far, I've only had one scene where a character starts preaching from Revelations.

    Overall, I completely agree with you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the best way to figure that out is by getting a lot of others to read it. I'd be more than happy to do beta reading for you. :)

      Revelations? That'd be quite interesting. :D

      =)

      Delete
    2. I'll have to keep that in mind when I need proofies. :)

      Yeah. Two of my characters were having a conversation related to Revelations, so I just decided to throw in a Bible verse.

      Delete
    3. ^.^ Goodses!

      Ah. Bible verses themselves are good whenever that kind of conversation comes up. Where else would we get our evidence for an argument if we're Christians? :D

      Delete
    4. :) Yeah, I agree. The Bible is our evidence, and only we can understand that. XP That's one of the reasons I don't argue about Evolution/Creation anymore; I simply base my belief on faith (which I have been given by Him).

      Also, I try not to add too much religion into my books; I want to glorify Him with my writings and for people to notice that I am His, but at the same time I just want for everyone to be able to enjoy a good old fantasy story.

      Delete
    5. Yes, only we could understand that. =P I'd still debate Creation though.

      Yeah, it could possibly get in the way of the story, and we wouldn't want that.

      Delete
    6. It's fun to debate Creation, but when it reaches an extent, each side is just repeating things that have already been said, and it begins to bore. Lol.

      Heh. There's more about God in the History that I am writing for my world, except God's name is Crëwr. Through that most people should be able to see that I am His. x)

      Delete
    7. Agreed. =) Then it's...not pointless, but something along those lines.

      Yeah, I think I've seen the stuff on your thread about it.

      Delete
  3. This may be a long comment, but here it is.

    "My faith pervades all my writing, but since I am such a doctrinal loner, my stories are quite different from what is being tossed about now regarding how Christians ought to write. On this point I could talk your ears right off your head, but, briefly, I reject the notion that you have to write sinful acts or tendencies into Christian characters. Sin doesn't make them "real" or "honest." It just makes them sinful ("stupid" I would say), and I find so many characters with tacked-on flaws it seems clichéd. I believe in the overwhelming power God gives us for holy living. My characters struggle in many ways, yet find ways to overcome. I like successful heroes. God gives us victory in Christ, so it makes sense to write that way. And feedback from my readers indicates that they relate to the great struggles my characters go through, and they are inspired by my characters' successes. I believe this portrayal of obedient faith is what is truly real and honest."
    -Bryan Davis, via Christian Fandom (http://www.christian-fandom.org/oli-bd.html)

    He also wrote an article on the subject here: http://www.daviscrossing.com/fantasy.pdf

    I'm not trying to enter into a debate. I've been researching Bryan Davis for an essay, though, and this is what I've found.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see Davis' point, and I agree with almost all of it. He does mention struggles, and maybe that's what I mean rather than making them live with sin...my apologies if that wasn't clear.

      Heh, I'd rather not debate either.

      Delete