Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Writing History

So anyways, if anyone still reads this blog...

I got this post idea from Holy Worlds. Someone asked how we started writing and what the history of our story-making was.

I've always been making stories, but very few of them ever made it to paper. When I was younger, I was something of a stereotypical introvert. I would lie on my bed for possibly hours or stare out my window. Or sometimes even try to count the grass in any certain area. And all the while attempting to keep completely to myself.

I'd tune people out while they were talking as I vanished into my own imaginary world where anything could happen. I crossed my favorite main characters from a number of stories into my own imagination, my favorite being the mix of Lloyd Alexander's Prydain Chronicles and Star Wars. That combination was glorious. That was where my love for not only reading stories but writing them as well began.

I wrote a one page typed story during a church service when I was around eight (I was bored, okay?). It was handwritten on ten pages of those little yellow memo pads. I titled it Black Thunder.

Next, I read M.I. McAllister's Mistmantle Chronicles, and I wanted to write something like that. I wrote a twenty-something page handwritten story in a world where squirrels, otters, moles, and the like starred as MCs.

That led to the next story which didn't go so well. It was nearly a complete spin-off from Mistmantle, and I gave up on it after page sixty.

Then was the Berinfell Prophecies by Batson and Hopper. That story copied the premise from their series with a few changes. It made seventy something pages, and that was eighth grade, I think.

Last year, I started a story, probably my first completely original full length novel, for NaNoWriMo. It followed the adventures with four kids who had superpowers. I almost made it to the end, but it fell apart due to lack of planning. That story gave me the realization that I actually could write and come up with my own ideas.

So last summer I embarked on my first ever sci-fi adventure. I worked on it over the summer, little bits at a time. I didn't do half of the amount of work as I would have liked, but I did and still do like the story and ideas. It was put on hold due to another challenge at NaNoWriMo.

And that is the story I'm working on now. The one I started in November, finished December, and am currently revising. It's also the one anyone who heard my rants knows about, and the one from which I pull the majority of my characters for Role Plays.

Sooooo yeah. That's it. Feel free to leave comments.

The end.

4 comments:

  1. Awesome! :D It sounds like you've done lots of writing over the years. I myself cannot say the same; I've only written a few short stories. What is the sci-fi adventure about?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Hyper! :D

    Haha, if you could call it writing. XD I flinch when I look back on it. That one novel you worked on with Andy was pretty epic. I read what was on your threads.

    Sci-fi? It works around the idea of technically modified people. Little chips are implanted in children and used to control them to make an army. The MC is part of a defense agency, and he's supposed to find the hideout of the antagonist which cannot be detected by wave tracing devices. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :) It's too bad we weren't able to really get anywhere with it.

      Oooh, interesting. :D I would definitely be interested in reading it once you have completed it.

      Delete
    2. It is. :/ When I saw the announcement that you were stopping...yeah. :P

      ^_^ I'll try to finish. I'm buried in a frustrating little fantasy novel now. The second draft is pending, so it's priority. :)

      Delete